Key Learning So Far

  • Understand the side effects, if any, of the drugs you'll be taking after surgery - especially possible withdrawl symptoms
  • Make sure whoever picks you from the hospital brings a paper and pen to take key notes from the nurse discharging you
  • If you have a job, organize your STD (Short Term Disability) as much as possible before surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Friday, January 25, 2008

Pre Surgery - Surgical Options

Given the conditions below, I decided I should see several back surgeons to review my options. The general consensus was that I would ultimately need back surgery and the best option was disc replacement (essentially cutting out the disc between L4 and L5, inserting metal plates between the two bones and sliding an artificial disc between the two). This is a pretty evasive type of surgery as it is performed anteriorly, involves moving the stomach to one side and comes dangerously close to some key areas of the spine, namely the spinal code and nerves.

As you can imagine, this is the type of surgery you don't approach lightly. To make sure I'd covered all my bases, I started researching the internet for other options. Around the same time, I happened to read an article in a triathlon magazine about a world class athlete that had somewhat similar conditions to me and had undergone surgery in nearby Boulder, Colorado. Further research indicated that the surgeon's name was
Dr. Vilavincencio. During my appointment with Dr V (Villavincencio), I was made aware of a new treatement that was being trialled for the FDA by Abbott Laboratories. The solution was called "Wallis Stabilization System" and was far less evasive than disc replacement surgery and has been performed successfully in Europe for the 14 years or so. Dr V. believed that I qualified for the trial - some of the requirements are listed below:-

(Image courtesy of )

The Wallis device is a small grommit looking object that is inserted, from the back, between the two spinal bones where the degenerative disc disease occurs.


Wallis Device
(Image courtesy of )
Two straps are tied securely around those two bones and attached to the Wallis device to allow for flexibility. Essentially the Wallis device acts as a shock absorber and sets the spacing between the two bones as it should be with a clean disc.


Wallis Device inserted between bones
(Image courtesy of )

Based on the information I was given on the Wallis Stabilization system and the fact that the procedure was reversible (since nothing is altered or removed from your body, you can remove the implant and be back where you were), I decided to sign up for the trial

Was this blog useful