Key Learning So Far

  • Understand the side effects, if any, of the drugs you'll be taking after surgery - especially possible withdrawl symptoms
  • Make sure whoever picks you from the hospital brings a paper and pen to take key notes from the nurse discharging you
  • If you have a job, organize your STD (Short Term Disability) as much as possible before surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Post Surgery - Day 5

Pain Rating:

Back feeling slightly better this morning, so decided to get 3 walks of 10 minutes in today. Did my first walk around 9am - bitterly cold out. I took a 2 hour nap just before lunch and then walked for 10 minutes after lunch. Back is definitely not as painful, however the muscles surrounding the surgery area feel tender and aggravated. Still drinking prune juice and taking all the medicines.

Just before dinner, I took my last 10 minute walk. At the end of the walk, the back felt slightly strained --- I have a feeling I might have pushed it a little too much.

At 8.30pm I took my very last antibiotic (4 pills a day for 5 days) - thank goodness, that was a big pill :)

Read for about 30 minutes before going to sleep. My bowels felt tender all night - I think it's the fact I haven't had a bowel movement for a couple of days.

Was this blog useful