Key Learning So Far

  • Understand the side effects, if any, of the drugs you'll be taking after surgery - especially possible withdrawl symptoms
  • Make sure whoever picks you from the hospital brings a paper and pen to take key notes from the nurse discharging you
  • If you have a job, organize your STD (Short Term Disability) as much as possible before surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Friday, January 25, 2008

Pre Surgery - Signing up for Wallis Trial with Abbott Laboratories

In order to sign up for the Wallis Trial I had to accomplish amongst other things:-
  • Sign a consent form that I was applying for the Wallis Trial and would commit to the trial requirements
  • Fill out a multiple choice questionnaire to verify that I qualified for the trial
  • Provide X-rays (showing hyperextension and hyperflexsion of the back) taken in the last 60 days
  • Provide MRI scans of the back taken in the last 60 days
  • Show that I'd tried Physical therapy for at least 6 months
One this was done, I was signed up for the Wallis trial. The trial included a control group, who would receive the alternative disc replacement surgery, and as such I had a 50/50 chance of being part of the Wallis procedure. A few days later, I was notified that I was assigned to the Wallis surgery group.

Abbott Laboratories would be paying for all the surgery costs, but this didn't include anything that would be standard for any kind of surgery i.e. pre-testing for general surgery etc.

Was this blog useful