Key Learning So Far

  • Understand the side effects, if any, of the drugs you'll be taking after surgery - especially possible withdrawl symptoms
  • Make sure whoever picks you from the hospital brings a paper and pen to take key notes from the nurse discharging you
  • If you have a job, organize your STD (Short Term Disability) as much as possible before surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Post Surgery - Day 14

Pain Rating:

Another good nights sleep. Went for a 15-20 minute walk this morning. Had a very productive appointment with my Physical Therapist this afternoon, the upshot being:-
  • I should be prepared to experience some difficulties or issues before my back has settled, but at the same time I shouldn't get too down about these, they should be temporary
  • I will need to do a series of basic isometic strengthening exercies once a day
  • I should walk twice a day - starting at 15 minutes each and incrementing by another 5 minutes after 3 consecutive days, if no discomfort
  • I should use ice on any tight muscles
  • Need to focus on back posture while sitting
  • No hyper-extension or hyper-flexion until able to lift weights > 10lbs
  • While flying, shouldn't sit for more than 30 - 45 minutes thereafter I will do a series of exercises and short walk up and down the plane
  • No more than 30 - 45 minutes sitting at any one time, for the near future
Well, I guess the Physical Therapist was right about one thing, later in the day I did experience some discomfort in my lower back - unfortunately I got a couple of sharp stabbing spasms that I experienced prior to surgery. Since I haven't had this sensation since surgery - for almost 2 weeks - I have to attribute it to all the work the therapist was doing on my back today. I'm sure it didn't help that I was a little too over active today afterwards - I decided to clean up my office - and that probably aggravated the already sensitive muscles and nerves. Hopefully a good night's sleep and a less activity tomorrow will help.

I've also decided that I'll make these blogs weekly from now on - ideally on a Thursday or Friday.

Was this blog useful