Key Learning So Far

  • Understand the side effects, if any, of the drugs you'll be taking after surgery - especially possible withdrawl symptoms
  • Make sure whoever picks you from the hospital brings a paper and pen to take key notes from the nurse discharging you
  • If you have a job, organize your STD (Short Term Disability) as much as possible before surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Post Surgery - Day 13

Pain Rating:

Finally a good nights sleep. Since recovering from the bout of diarrhea I had last week, today was the first day that my bowel movements returned to normal.

Kept a low profile again today, but did manage my first 15-20 minute walk in a few days ( a couple of snowy and icy days limited my options). The key event today was seeing my Surgeon (Dr V) for the first time since surgery - almost two weeks ago. Before I got a chance to talk to Dr V, one of his nurses asked some key questions about my health and well being over the last couple of weeks, she also did some strength and sensation tests and took a look at my incision. When I finally had a chance to talk to Dr V, we talked about the last 2 weeks and looking ahead to the upcoming weeks. This was my general take away:-
  • No swimming for a least another week
  • Got the general okay to travel for business next week, but to listen to my body and take breaks accordingly. He didn't anticipate any issues with flying and air pressure
  • Agreed a "return back to work" date of Feb 11th - next Monday, but to start off with 1/2 days for the first week.
  • Keep away from lifting anything over 10lbs for the next few weeks
  • Cycling on a stationary bike should be okay, so long as the body is upright
  • Gave me the okay to see my physical therapist tomorrow for my back
  • Re-affirmed my belief that the Wallis device might be a permanent solution (at this point there isn't enough imperial evidence to determine how long the device can function, but as I understand it, it has been implemented in Europe for over 14 years with continued success)
One slightly scary event today ... the only parking spot available at the surgeons office was over a partially icy area and when I exited the car I did slip and begin to fall. Fortunately I was to control the fall, but in the process I did feel a sharp spasm in lower back.

Looking forward to seeing what my physical therapist has to say tomorrow.

Was this blog useful