Key Learning So Far

  • Understand the side effects, if any, of the drugs you'll be taking after surgery - especially possible withdrawl symptoms
  • Make sure whoever picks you from the hospital brings a paper and pen to take key notes from the nurse discharging you
  • If you have a job, organize your STD (Short Term Disability) as much as possible before surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Pain Chart - Post Surgery

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Post Surgery - Day 10

Pain Rating:

Although I didn't get the best nights sleep, I did feel more positive about myself in the morning. We took the boys to the recreation center and I enjoyed being out of the house with them. One of my neighbours called around and wanted to see if I wanted to run some errands with him, again it was nice to get out and about and share my thoughts with someone. I'm pretty confident the bowel movements have subsided, as I started the day with my regular breakfast and 2 cups of espresso and still nothing.

By mid afternoon, I was feeling much more up-beat and altogether more positive. Since I haven't been on any drugs for 2-3 days now, it gave me a chance to think realistically about the state of my back. Since surgery, I haven't felt any stabbing or sharp, intense pains in my back - my back feels stable and in control, which is highly encouraging. Although I have to admit, I am my own worst enemy - as much as I try to follow some of the key rules of recovery, it's not always easy to do so. For instance, I'm not supposed to lift anything more than 5 lbs for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Today I was guilty of lifting my youngest son (2 years, and definitely more than 5lbs) down two steps, amongst other things.

We spent late afternoon and early evening with some good friends watching the Super Bowl, which capped off a much improved day.

On the drive home, my oldest son (5 years old) asking me lots of thought provoking questions about the origins of live and how inventions come about - a perfect reminder of why I have so many things to be positive about.

Was this blog useful